Love each other unconditionally. Sometimes it really is just that simple.
- Never underestimate the value of asking your partner how his day went. Niceties don’t become any less nice just because they become routine. At the end of the day, even if you felt like no one cared about anything you did, at least you know your partner will not only care but want to know details.
- Some fights are just fights. They don’t have to be deal breakers. You can be madly in love with a person and still be mad at that person. Fights don’t have to spell The End. Couples that stay together choose the relationship over the conflict.
- Accept that relationships come with obligations. You might not want to do everything your partner wants you to do with him — work events, seeing a band he likes, even errands — but you also know it makes him happy to have you by his side, which makes doing those things totally worth it.
- But be honest about which events you feel strongly that your partner attend. Not everything can be a must. He knows to tell you that it’s really important you attend Passover seder every year but will live if you decline an invite to his friend’s Super Bowl party. You’re both fair about it.
- Little surprise purchases go a long way. Does your partner love mint chocolate chip ice cream? Picking some up while you’re at the store shows you were thinking of him even while going about your boring everyday chores like restocking the milk.
- Don’t force group or double dates when all couples aren’t friends. You don’t have to share the same friends. It’s OK to still go out one-on-one with your girlfriends, even if you all have significant others. The guys don’t have to be friends just because you are, and not every conversation is a group conversation anyway.
- Kiss hello before doing anything else when you get home. Kiss good-bye when you leave. It’s always just the sweetest if he has to go to work extra-early but stops by to kiss you quickly while trying not to wake you. Or when he walks you to the door when you head out. And an immediate kiss when you reunite at the end of the day means you care about each other above all else.
- Respond to each other’s texts, calls, etc. No screening when it comes to your significant other. If he needs to get in touch for whatever reason, that should be a priority.