Is a serious and pervasive disorder . It causes feelings of sadness, hopelessness, helplessness, and worthlessness. Depresión can be mild to moderate with symptoms of apathy, little appetite, difficulty sleeping, low self-esteem, and low-grade fatigue. Or it can be more severe.
What are the symptoms of depression in women?
- Persistent sad, anxious, or “empty” mood.
- Loss of interest or pleasure in activities, including sex.
- Restlessness, irritability, or excessive crying.
- Feelings of guilt, worthlessness, helplessness, hopelessness, pessimism.
- Sleeping too much or too little, early-morning waking.
- Appetite weight or loss overeating and wigth gain.
- Difficulty concentrating, remembering, or making decisions.
Why is depression in women more common than depression in men?
Before adolescence, depresion is rare and occurs at about the same rate in girls and boys. However, with the onset of puberty, a girl’s risk of developing depression increases dramatically to twice that of boys.
Some experts believe that the increased chance of depression in women may be related to changes in hormone levels that occur throughout a woman’s life. These changes are evident during puberty or pregnancy. Some woman deles like that in the menopause. In addition, the hormone fluctuations that occur with each month’s menstrual cycle probably contribute to premenstrual syndrome and premenstrual dysphoric disorder, or PMDD – a severe syndrome marked especially by depression and mood swings that occurs the week before menstruation and interferes with normal functioning of daily life.